Cultural Adjustment Counselling Gold Coast
Adjusting to life in a new country can be challenging when it comes to finding work, community support and living within a society that differs from what you are accustomed to. It can take time and effort and may not always live up to your expectations. As rewarding as it can be to move from one country, region or culture to another, the experience of adjustment can feel uncomfortable and implicate your mental health. Setting up a new life is brave and should be rewarded, so make sure you are seeking the support that you need to enjoy a positive transition into your new lifestyle.
There may be a variety of reasons why you have moved; through choice or difficult circumstances, such as immigrating, refugee status, stability, career or studying as an international student.
Challenges with cultural adjustment may include:
- Finding it difficult to settle into a new community
- Process finding a job – particularly one that you are qualified to do
- Language – verbal and non-verbal communication
- Feelings of prejudice, discrimination and judgement
- Being homesick and missing your loved ones in another place
- Settling your family into schools and support networks
- Challenges with the housing market
- Understanding the healthcare system
- Self-doubt and low self-esteem
- Loneliness and disorientation
- Misunderstandings and conflicts of interest
Once you work through the initial challenges, the new culture will begin to feel more natural and you can better adapt to your new way of life to fulfill the dreams that you set out with. We can find ways to support you becoming part of the community that you deserve to be in, not just to fit in.